Kabaddi is one of the few games which were invented by Indians. It is believed that kabaddi originated around 4000 years ago in Tamilnadu. The first time kabaddi was played was in the year 1938 in Indian Olympics. Kabaddi gave another reason to feel proud for becoming a winner many times in kabaddi tournaments all over the world. The international kabaddi federation was founded in the year of 2004. There are 31 countries registered under the federation.
The story of the Kabaddi World Cup
The Kabaddi World Cup is an international game. 12 countries participated in the world cup championship. The International Kabaddi Federation organized the championship. Unfortunately, before 2016, the Kabaddi World Cup for women was not organized.
India became the winner of the kabaddi world cup in 2004, 2007, and 2016 previously. Star sports, sky sports are the television broadcasters. The 2019 kabaddi world cup was about to be hosted by country Malaysia. But the tournament was postponed for not participating in a sufficient number of countries. In 2020, Pakistan became the winner by defeating India in the Kabaddi World Cup championship.
Kabaddi World Cup winners list
There are two ways to play the kabaddi world cup. These are standard style and round style. The kabaddi world cup standard style was established in the year of 2004. The kabaddi world cup circular style was established in the year of 2010.
Standard style Kabaddi World Cup winners:
- This is the most common way of playing kabaddi all over the world. This style of kabaddi is played in the indoor rectangular court. This world cup was organized in the year 2004. Till now, there are only four world cups organized and fortunately, India became the winner of all three.
- In the year 2004, Mumbai was the host of the world cup. Iran was the runner-up team and Bangladesh and Canada got the third position.
- In 2007, Panvel was the host of the second world cup. Iran was the runner up and Bangladesh and Japan got the third position.
- In 2016 Ahmedabad was the host of the world cup. Iran got second position and South Korea and Thailand got third place.
Circular style Kabaddi World Cup winners:
- In the year 2010, Punjab started the circular style world cup. This kind of kabaddi was adopted by Punjab for the first time.
- A round-shaped field is required for playing this type of kabaddi world cup.
- In 2012, India won the game by defeating Iran. Patna was the host state of the world cup. Japan and Thailand got the 3rd rank.
- In 2013, New Zealand was defeated by India. Denmark and Pakistan got the third rank. Ludhiana became the host state.
- In the year 2014, India was the winner by beating New Zealand. Sri Muktsar Sahib was the host. Pakistan and Denmark got the third rank.
- In 2016, India defeated the United States. New Zealand and Kenya got the third rank. Jalalabad, Fazika was the host.
- In 2020, India was defeated by Pakistan. Iran and Australia got third place. Punjab stadium, Lahore was the host of that world cup.